Back to Top
Back to Top
The Omega 3d series My most recent paintings ‘The Omega (awakenings 3d)’ builds on my previous series ‘Awakenings (The Alpha)’ and ‘Awakenings Reloaded’ this is the third in the trilogy of the awakenings theme. They consist of a number of 15 cubes, a number of which are wall mounted and some of which are suspended at varying heights from the ceiling, al
NCAD -National College of Art And Design Dublin
MFA fine art - De Montfort University UK
Upcoming solo exhibition - Upcoming solo exhibition - July 2015 - 'THE OMEGA 3D' The Alley Theatre/Arts Centre, Strabane, Co.Tyrone
• 2014 – September, ‘Little Kingdoms’, Catalyst Arts Gallery, Belfast.
• 'Enniskillen Visual Arts Open' international exhibition, The Higher Bridges Gallery, Clinton Centre,Co. Fremanagh. 11th September 2014 - 11th October 2014.
• 'Signal Open' Exhibition, Signal Arts Centre, Bray, Co.Wicklow - 6th - 17th August 2014.
• 2013 - November 9th - '3rd Splash Art Festival' Back Loft, La Cathedral Studios, Dublin(Invited Artist)
• 2013 – September 19th – 23rd October – ‘Ireland in our eyes’, London Irish Centre, Camden Sq, London.
• 2013 – “Clouds” – August (2013) - Centro Storico /The Palazzo Ca' Zanardi, Venice, Italy.
• 2013 – July 25th - Sept' 10th - 2013 - ‘The Story of the Creative’, (invited artist) See | Exhibition space, 26-19 Jackson Ave. Long Island City, NY 11101 New York.
• 2013 – ‘Awakenings Reloaded’ - Market House Arts Centre, Monaghan Town. (Arts Council Ireland and Monaghan Co. Council) (Solo show)
• 2011/12/13 - Mealy's/SCOOP Contemporary art exhibition.
• 2012 - 'All sorts' - Sweetshop Gallery of contemporary art, Rosslare, Wexford - Invited Artist.
• 2011 - 'Splash' - Back Loft, La Cathedral Studios, Dublin - Open submission.
• 2011 – 'Harvest' – Hive Gallery and Studios – Waterford – Open Submission.
• 2011 – 'Pink Pink Pink' - Mad Art gallery and Studios-Dublin- Open submission.
• 2011 – 'Masters Exhibition' - De Montfort University, Leicester, UK. (Solo show)
• 2009 - Gallery Show – Henry Gilmore Gallery - Belfast.
• 2007 - ’08 - Group Show - Art Upstairs - Rosslare.
• 2006 - ‘07 - Salon Exhibition - Montserrat Gallery of Contemporary Art - New York.
• 2006 - "Awakenings (The Alpha)" - Art upstairs Gallery - Wexford festival opera (Solo Show)
• 2006 - " Summer group show - Clifden art gallery Galway
• 2005 - " Christmas Show" - OS/B Gallery Enniskerry
• 2005 - “Summer group show” - OS/B Gallery Enniskerry
• 2005 - “Summer show” - Kennedy Gallery Dublin
• 2004 - "Eigse - Carlow arts festival - open selection.
• 2003 - "East meets West" Invited artist Carrickmacross Co. Monaghan.
• 2002 - "Eigse - Carlow arts festival" - Open selection.
• 2001 - "Wexford Opera Festival" - Wexford Arts Centre (Invited Artist) (2 person show).
• 2001 - "Group Show" - Taylor Gallery Belfast.
• 2001 - "Scenes before the eye" Agora Gallery (2 person show) Broadway, Manhattan, New York.
• 2000 - "Comhairle Bhaile Cheanntair" (solo show)(Public works) Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.
• 2000 - "CELTIC CONNECTIONS" - (The Arts Council Ireland.) (A Welsh/ Irish exchange exhibition of four short listed artists) Fishguard Wales.
• 1999 - "Gorey Summer Fair" (Solo Exhibition)
• 1998 - "Award winners exhibition" (Wexford arts centre, sponsored by Lions club and Arts Council Ireland.) (Solo Show)
• 1997 - 2000 - “Lions Club exhibition “(Arts Centre Wexford)
• 1997 - “Group show” (Watch house Gallery Enniscorthy)
• 1996 - "Opera festival show” Wexford Arts Centre- Solo Exhibition-(Sponsored by Guinness Ireland and The Arts council Ireland)
• 1995 - "Christmas show" (2 man show)(Woodland arts and crafts gallery Gorey)
• 1995 - 2005 - "Wexford showcase" (Arts centre Wexford)
• 1995 - "Art with a view" (Wexford Co. Council. A short listed exhibition of six artists)
• 1994 - "Monaghan Artists" (Carrickmacross Co. Monaghan)
• 1994 - "Lough Derg" (Kavanagh heritage centre Monaghan) Permanent collection.
Tondo - Review by Lisa Mikulski - http://tondo.is/post/artist-paul-mccloskey
LandEscape Interview - March 2014 (Special Issue)
The State of Art - Landscape & Portrait - Edited by Andy Laffan, Chris Hodson and Robin Laffan.
The State of Art – 3d and Installation - Edited by Andy Laffan, Chris Hodson and Robin Laffan.
Exhibeo Visual Art Magazine – “ Let There Be Light” – The Transcendent Art of Paul McCloskey – J.E. Raddatz. Unblugged - Interview by Michele Andree Lemieux
Gallery and Studio Visual Art Magazine – (New York.Vol.10-No.2)Review by Maureen Flynn (Art Critic)
GALACTIC LANDSCAPES – Fawn Review - Siobhan Fenton, editor.
Musetouch Visual Arts Magazine issue 18 – Divine by Maia Sylba.
Re<>Dux Visual Arts Magazine – Autumn -2014
Creative Quarterly – The Journal of Art and Design no 34&35 - New York
DONTPOSTME # 9 Visual Arts Magazine(Summer Issue)– Alima Kumukova
Ireland of The Welcomes – vol 63 No 2 March/April 2014
* 'Abstracts' - Light, Space and Time, International Art Competition, Special Merit Award ('14)
* EXHIBEO art magazine, 'Landscapes in motion' (3rd) ('14)
* ARTslant – 2014 - 4th international visual art (mixed media) Showcase winner. (Juried – Joanna Szupinska-Myers Curator of Exhibitions at the California Museum of Photography - Sebastian Campos Principal, THE MISSION, Chicago | Houston - Anca Rujoiu Curator, CCA - Centre for Contemporary Art, Singapore )
* Creative Quarterly 35, The Journal of Art & Design, New York - Fine Art Professional - winner ('14)
* MAB3 | Media 3. Art Biennial - London - Diploma of Excellence (Honourable Award) (’14)
* 'I Paint Therefore I Am’ - Gallery For Me - New York - Winner ('14)
* Monaghan County Council, percent for art scheme. (’13)
* “15th Annual Abstraction Juried International Art Exhibition” Upstream Gallery, Omaha, (3 special recognition awards) ('13)
"Paul McCloskey of Gorey, County Wexford, Ireland, presents several (5) strong oil paintings. Of particular note is "Awakenings Reloaded Blue Gold" (special recognition award) wherein the contrast of open space with a concentration of painterly quality is visually delicious. This effect is also powerful in "Awakenings Reloaded with Violet"(special recognition award). Moreover, his three-dimensional work "The Omega (Awakenings 3D) Violet"(special recognition award) is quite rich" - Juror - Laurence Bradshaw, Curator, Professor of Art and Art history at the University of Nebraska.
* Four Points Contemporary, International visual art award - 2nd Bi-annual- Award of Excellence (’14) Juried - Reginald Charles Adams, Co-founder Museum of Cultural Arts, Houston (MOCAH)
* ARTslant –2013 - 8th international visual art Showcase winner. (Juried – Wendi Norris Gallery (Director), San Francisco – Charlie Hood – Co-Director – Beach Gallery, London)
* Four Points Contemporary, International visual art award-1st Bi-annual – juried - Mark Roden and Joana Esteves (JoMar Visions) (2nd place) (’13)
"Awakening Landscape Spring"
Oil on Canvas
61" X 61"
"Paul McCloskey combines a very spatial atmosphere combined with a minimal use of warm colour, offset by the cooler overall palette.
The form and perspective of the piece is very daring with its tilt and gives the feeling of falling into the piece. McCloskey combines a heavy mechanical or metallic patina of the foreground shape with the background which is open and atmospheric which contradicts on one level but becomes congruent on another".
Mark Roden and Joana Esteves, founders of JOMAR VISIONS, Houston Tx, USA.
* Light Space & Time (landscape) international visual art competition (special recognition award for outstanding painting) (’13)
* The elements” AIR" World Arts international visual art award (1st place) (’13)
* Fawn Review –international visual art competition (1st place) (’13)
* Artists exemption award.
* "Comhairle Bhaile Cheanntair" (Public works) Civic Centre, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan. (’00)
* Wexford Arts Centre/Lions Club, award winner for painting. (’98)
Paul McCloskey was born in Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, Ireland and is now living and working in Gorey Co. Wexford. Paul attended the National College of Art and Design (N.C.A.D) Dublin from 1981 and graduated in 1986. Paul also attended De Montfort University UK and was awarded a Masters Degree in Fine art (MFA) in 2010. Paul is a professional member of ‘visual artists Ireland’.
• Monaghan County Council, art collection.
• Wexford County Council, art collection.
• Smurfit Collection
• Irish Bank of Commerce
• Monaghan VEC
• Kavanagh Heritage Centre, Monaghan
• Connemara design centre
• Education centre, Dublin
• "Comhairle Bhaile Cheanntair" (Public works) Civic Centre, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan
• As well as numerous private collections throughout the country.